Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Which models should Renault retain?

View Single Post
post #31 of (permalink) Old 30th January 2012
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,852 Posts
Re: Which models should Renault retain?

Originally Posted by tonyrome View Post
That comment doesn't make sense. If it's the same fuel type/engine capacity, there's no example where an older engine is more fuel efficient than the latest engine.

There are though. When DPF's (as an example for diesels), or catalytic convertors (for petrols) were being phased in (and were still seen as optional extras), there was a penalty in power and economy of around 10%. If you look at the US in the seventies (when the technology to combat smog was even more primitive), the penalty was closer to 25%

The latest diesel engines from manufacturers such as BMW and Mercedes are incredibly powerful, yet low on emissions and return superb fuel economy. Example: BMW 640d, 313hp. 0-62mph in 5.4 seconds, monstrous torque, yet only produces 144g/km CO2, meaning a mere 130/year to tax plus 51.4mpg on the COMBINED cycle! The only downside is the price but you can't argue about any compromise between power and economy with an engine like that!

I accept that there are what I'd call 'superdiesels', but would also add that these economy figures & exhaust emission standards will be decimated if the performance is used to the full. A compromise doesn't always mean that one benefit is permanently sacrificed for the other, just that you can't have them both at the same time.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome