Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Which models should Renault retain?

View Single Post
post #34 of (permalink) Old 31st January 2012
Banned User
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Which models should Renault retain?

Originally Posted by VelSatisfied View Post
There are though. When DPF's (as an example for diesels), or catalytic convertors (for petrols) were being phased in (and were still seen as optional extras), there was a penalty in power and economy of around 10%. If you look at the US in the seventies (when the technology to combat smog was even more primitive), the penalty was closer to 25%
But we were not talking about the 1970s! All the latest diesel engines are far more efficient than those of only a few years ago.

Originally Posted by VelSatisfied View Post
I accept that there are what I'd call 'superdiesels', but would also add that these economy figures & exhaust emission standards will be decimated if the performance is used to the full.
'To the full' - yes but that would decimate the economy of any car. However, with 600nM torque and 313PS, you'll get phenomenal performance without thrashing it and that means excellent good consumption figures, hence over 50mpg average. As far as I'm concerned, that means you can have it all!
Currently in tonyrome's garage:
2009 Renault Laguna Coupe GT 3.0dCi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome