Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - My Fuel Gauge Is Dead

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 28th September 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by Ande p View Post
Hi, sorry about the same threads, just desperately trying to get to the bottom of it.

When i picked it up the petrol light was on and the gauge read nothing, so i put a tenner in it and the light stayed on with the needle reading nothing, anyway, yesterday the car started to splutter a bit, i knew it was running out so i pulled into a petrol station and put another tenner in, the petrol light went out but the needle didn't move, then so far up the road the petrol light came back on, what i don't understand is, if the petrol light was on when i picked it up and a tenner didn't put it out, then why did it go out when i put a tenner in from virtually empty? As far as the needle is concerned, it isn't even showing signs of movement.
For starters, these gauges are never that accurate. I've particularly found on the Lagunas that the low fuel warning doesn't always correlate with the same position on the fuel gauge.

Secondly, the price of petrol has come down recently, so your tenner is probably buying you that little bit extra.

You really need to stick at least 20 litres in it and see what happens. The Laguna tank is (if memory serves me correctly) about 70 litres, so if the needle still doesn't move with 20 in there, you probably have a fault.

Running the fuel tank completely empty is never a good idea. It sucks all the crud into the fuel lines and blocks the filter.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome