Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Bonnet release cable Scenic Fidji

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 1st February 2012 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Bonnet release cable Scenic Fidji

I went to collect my car from my garage as the rear brakes were red hot. Great they said we have fixed your brakes under the warranty, they only did them in late November. Oh, but you have another problem. I said what is it. Well, your bonnet cable has snapped and it will be 150 to fit a new one. I was fizzing! Suffice to say I got home and posted my problem on here given that my scoosher bottle needed filling!
I managed to work out that the little black plastic grills at the front might just hold the key to access the bonnet. I went to a local scrappy where I knew they had a couple of my scenics and had a look at how the grills were held in place, great clips and only one torx screw.
My cunning plan was hatched. I would smash the right hand grill and I would then get my wee hand into the front and just see if I could press up the lever. Masterful, eh?
So I took a large hammer and took a few swipes trying not to ding my bonnet and on th third swipe it flew off. I got the bonnet up!!!!!
Now I messed about looking to see how things worked and what I found was a bit of a surprise. Somehow the garage had managed to snap the cable then attach plastic wire collector into the area where the end of the cable should go, I pulled on this and it operated the bonnet release??? Weird? So why had they done this and not told me? It would suggest that the garage had snapped the cable then put the plastic pull cord in leaving it hanging down. This meant that If I went back in they knew how to simply go under the car when it was up on the ramp and give the plastic pull a wee tug and then they could charge me 150 to replace it?
Anyway, they must be thinking "where is that bloke with the silver scenic whose cable we snapped" They had not counted on me finding their handy work!

So I filled my bottle I shut the bonnet down and put the grill back on just using the clips and fed the cable tie through the front of the grill. Given that the cable tie was black you don't even see it.

I put some pictures on Flickr before I found out about the garages little ploy, see link below
Currently in gframe287's garage:
Renault Scenic Fidji 1600cc 2002
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome