Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Brake pad replacement

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 1st February 2012
Platinum member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 3 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
Re: Brake pad replacement

Those rubber concertina boots are the seals that go over the caliper slide (guide) pins, to be honest I wouldn't bother changing them unless the old ones were damaged in some way.
In my experience it isn't necessary to replace the slide pins, however they can become seized causing the caliper not to slide freely but cleaning them up and re greasing is normally all they need.

When you remove the old pads if one is worn down a lot more than the other it's quite often a sign that the caliper isn't free to slide on the slides, even if the old pads are worn equally do check the sliding operation of the caliper.

Take a good look at the brake caliper set up before you start so you can see how things go. Only strip one side at a time so you can use the other side for reference should you need to.

Take a look at the link below, it's a "How to" that Lagtdi posted on changing front brake discs and pads, as you are only changing the pads just ignore the disc changing bits.

I'm not sure if your brake caliper set up is the same as the one in the link but it will give you some idea.

How to change front discs and pads(with pics)

Please take the time to enter your vehicle details in the "What's current in your garage?" box.

To do this:
Hover over the "TOOLS" tab at the top of the page
> then in the dropdown click on "User Dashboard"
> click on "Edit Your Details" at the top Left hand side.
> scroll down to the "What's current in your garage?" box and enter your vehicle details.
> Once the details are entered scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "Save Changes"

> Done.
Currently in TTT's garage:
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Dynamique Sport Tourer
The Following User Says Thank You to TTT For This Useful Post:
Faustic (1st February 2012)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome