Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2004 - Engines - Auto gearbox warning sign

View Single Post
post #35 of (permalink) Old 4th February 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Angry Re: Renault Clio 2004 - Engines - Auto gearbox warning sign

Hi everyone. I have the same problem with my 05/06 1.6 Clio Auto (MK III). Bought the car from an old couple who hardly used the vehicle. Think it had done 5000 miles over 4 years from new. Anyway the major service including cam belt was done by me after I bought it.

"Check gearbox" signal come up only in the mornings every single morning once I have driven for a minute or so. Why in the mornings? What exactly happens when the vehicle and the oil is cold? The vehicle struggles to shift gears and if i accelerate too much it goes into the "limp mode". Switching the vehicle off and on again solves the problem. Somehow the vehicle needs to be warm before the problem goes away.

Anyway I took it in and was advised to change the solenoids and the ATF. This was done for about 400 (equivalent) and the problem was gone!! Was so happy!!! Now 4500 miles later the problem is back. Do I need to change the solenoid and the ATF again? Mechanic now says that it might be a faulty temperature sensor! I amcertain there is no oil leak as i don't see any oil on the ground where the car is parked. What could the problem be?
Currently in DaRobba's garage:
2006 Renault Clio III Expession Automatic
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome