Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - different models/specs

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 28th September 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
There's some bumf on specs here. It's all rather confusing

Specs for particular trim levels seem to vary a lot depending on age anyway (for example, all L2's had front fog lights and sun roofs at first, but the entry level models later lost them.) For a given trim level, the Sport Tourer will sometimes have one or two extra features over the hatch (parking sensors, Xenon headlamps etc.)

If you're looking to tow about a tonne, then the petrol engines are underpowered with the exception of the 2.0 Turbo and 3.0 V6. The 1.9 dCi comes in various power outputs, and you'd probably be looking at the 120bhp variant for relaxed towing. I have the 130bhp 1.9dCi that was introduced last year and it tows like a dream. 6th gear is realistic at 60mph for most motorway driving, though it's better to leave it in 5th if you're on a stretch with lots of gradients. 4th might become necessary on some steeper A-road hills, and I've yet to meet a gradient that I couldn't hold 60 on in 3rd. For some bizarre reason, the published towing limit for the 1.9dCi is actually marginally higher than for the 2.2.

Early 1.9dCi's are notorious for turbo failures, and early 6 speed boxes can be problematic too. The worst of these problems are reputedly fixed by mid to late 2003, so go for a later example car if your budget will stretch.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome