Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Bodywork - Front Wipers

35K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  Radiovic1 
#1 ·
All

New to the forum, and have a basic request (hopefully). :confused:

Got new wiper blades for the front, went to replace and can't raise the wiper to a horizontal position due to it stopping on the bonnet. Therefore can't remove the old blades.

Anyone tell me what I am missing, or a "button"/"release" that needs pressing.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I had the same problem when I came to replace the blades on my Laguna II (see the thread here).

I came to the conclusion that you've got three options...
  1. Persevere with trying every angle combination you can think of (including rotating) with the new blades, as you can eventually fit them on - though you do risk damaging the blades or the finish on the arms, as you do have to be quite brutal. I managed to scratch some of the black paint when trying to fit on a pair of Boschs.
  2. Return the blades you've just bought back to the shop, and instead buy Valeo ones. These are the blades originally fitted to the car, and the hole where you feed the wiper arm is large enough so you don't have to raise the arm too much.
  3. Slide the rubber blade itself out of the existing wiper brackets (still attached) and replace with those from the new blades.

#5 ·
aking73 said:
All

New to the forum, and have a basic request (hopefully). :confused:

Got new wiper blades for the front, went to replace and can't raise the wiper to a horizontal position due to it stopping on the bonnet. Therefore can't remove the old blades.

Anyone tell me what I am missing, or a "button"/"release" that needs pressing.

Thanks in advance.
Just turn wipers on and turn ignition off when at top of screen....easy

#6 ·
harddrive said:
Hi all
Could you not remove the arms complete change the blade and refit them . Long winded I know but the only solution I can see!
Regards Harddrive.
I tried that but didn't get anywhere. Can't recall the exact reason why, although I do remember that even removing a big at nut at the base of the arm (which in theory should have released it) didn't help, and there weren't any other obvious things to try.

twobigdogs said:
Just turn wipers on and turn ignition off when at top of screen....easy
Not that easy unfortunately. It's not the bonnet preventing the arms from moving up - it's the actual hinge at the base of the arm, which has virtually no travel.

#7 ·
dkmulvey said:
I had the same problem when I came to replace the blades on my Laguna II (see the thread here).

[*]Persevere with trying every angle combination you can think of (including rotating) with the new blades, as you can eventually fit them on - though you do risk damaging the blades or the finish on the arms, as you do have to be quite brutal. I managed to scratch some of the black paint when trying to fit on a pair of Boschs.

[/list]

I had similar problems fitting bosch blades, I ended up using the original "quick fit connector" ( from the valeo wipers fitted) on the bosch wiper blade arm, as these seemed to fit much better than the Bosch ones.
Next time around I will just buy Valeo ones -saves the hassle.

ALso regarding point 3, just replacing the rubber blade - this is ok, but the arms to wear and there are only a limited number of times you can do this, before you need to fit a complete wiper blade assembly.

#14 ·
OK im having the same problem as everyone else (cant get old wiper blade off because the blade only moves about 60mm from windscreen).

I'm going to take to arm off.

Ive taken the arm nut off and have sprayed the spindle with wd40. im going the leave it overnight and try to remove it tomorrow.

I'll post again to let everyone know how I got on

#19 ·
A work colleague was having this problem and I helped him out.
What I did was to release the adapter from the end of the arm, and slid it down just enough to be able to un-click the wiper from the adapter.

Then I was able to remove the wiper from the arm, and then remove the adapter from the arm.

Replacement was the opposite way around, almost fitting the adapter to the end of the arm first and then fitting the wiper to the adapter before finally clicking the adapter into the end of the arm.

I must say that for a normally simple job it's been made stupidly complicated due to the fact that you cannot raise the wiper arm due to a lump that sticks out on the hinge - if it wasn't for that lump, which as far as I can tell serves no purpose, you could do the job a lot more easily.

ttfn

#24 ·
One of these will pull the arm from its spindle.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-T..._Equipment&hash=item589245109f#ht_1656wt_1177

First slacken the spindle nut and use a wax crayon or masking tape to mark the wiper blade position on the windscreen.

Use the puller to release the arm from the spindle splines. Remove the spindle nut and take the arm off the car.

When you put the arm back, use the mark on the screen to get it on the correct splines. You might also want to treat the return spring with some anti corrosion oil/wax spray.

#25 ·
I recently bought a Laguna II with a pretty mint exterior apart from the wipers. The back one just needed a new blade but the actual arms on the front two looked like the had been shot blasted down to the metal and the supports on the blade parts had started to go rusty. (never a good sign) :( And when I was driving the vehicle they where always there in front of me - very irritating to look at.

I thought I would just buy some new arms as they couldn't be that expensive - £131 +VAT :eek:

I removed the arms with a bit off a hub puller as described in this thread, rubbed them down with some steel wool, sprayed the poor sides with some primer, then a coat of black satin all over followed by a top coat of clear gloss. Replaced both blades and the end rusult is they look as good as new. :d

#26 ·
Just looking through old threads on this subject because I've just discovered this design glitch.
Its not the bonnet stopping the arm being raised...the design of the hinge prevents the arm being raised above a couple of inches.
Does anyone have a up to date solution on this?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.