Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Plastic bumper colour doesnt match metal bodywork colour.

View Single Post
post #25 of (permalink) Old 11th February 2012 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 17 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,014 Posts
Re: Plastic bumper colour doesnt match metal bodywork colour.

2 days ago 9/02/2012 the car was parked in an amenity area.
Somebody thought it was a bumpercar dodgem fair it seems as the front rhs plastic panel was banged.

This wasnt a minor tip that couldnt have been felt, it was an "oh sheet I hit that car, but f it ill drive off"
The paint scrapes from the other car that were left looked to be a very dark brown.dark metallic. Not having won the lotto recently I coulndt get a private detective on the job.

The phantom car basher drove off.
I had resigned myself previously to putting up with the plastic metal colour difference unless I got accident damage..which would be repaired for free.

Now it seems .I will have to pay as my ins excess is now 160, last time I checked it was 25 and I havent had a self claim in 10 years. ts on me.

My local repair guy had a qwik go at grinding the damage with 2000 grade sandpaper and that professional tcut with a polisher .

It removed the minor scratches , but for a 7 month old car needs respraying , the paint isnt very thick anyway.

Vel/Paul would probably know more about this but apparently there are 2 shades of HNK(the paint colour code).
He will be painting the damage with the lighter of the 2 shades.
Hopefully in the process the plastic/metal mismatch will be reduced.
The respray cost will be the equivalent of 55-60 for the front rhs plastic panel( total coverageno blending),which isnt too bad,if I wasnt paying for it!
If it looks really good Ill get the other side done too, even tho there is no scraping there.

This is exactly the damage Id been hoping for , except Id been hoping mr. scumbag who did it would be paying out of his insurance.
Proves the old "be carefull what you wish for" thing. sigh.

Currently in coup's garage:
RM III coupe 1.5dci FVT,Audi TT Mk1 ,a bike and too much rubbish.

Last edited by coup; 11th February 2012 at 01:47 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome