Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault rx4 brake problem

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 15th February 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault rx4 brake problem

Hi, Can't help I'm afraid, but I have the same problem. Brakes started feeling a bit spongy in the summer, but was towing a trailer tent and assume it was just a bit of push from the extra weight. Brakes seemed okay when not towing. Didn't really drive the car much since then as it's the wife's, but got in it a few weeks ago and it scared me sh1tless. Replaced discs and pads, but noticed that the caliper slide pins were badly seized with very little movement. Took me a couple of weeks before I could strip them down again, got them all moving very nicely, put it back together expecting a big improvement.

Initial bite seems much improved, but the pedal still hits the stop before the brakes lock. Can't get the ABS to kick in at all, other than in the wet and in full "stomp" mode on the pedal.

It's occurred to me that maybe the lack of caliper movement for a couple of weeks allowed the pads to become slightly glazed, so this weekend I'll hook them out and scuff the surface with a bit of course wet and dry; but failing that I'm at a loss.

If anybody knows the most common reason for brake performance to tail off like this on Renault, PLEASE let us know!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome