Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Possible repair cost for MOT pass?

View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 16th February 2012 Thread Starter
Inveterate Bodger
Nominated 0 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: Possible repair cost for MOT pass?

Cheers Vel, good to see that I'm maybe not *entirely* losing my mind.

The test centre in question is indeed the central Birmingham council one that I have been taking various cars to for 5+ years now. They're legally not allowed to - in fact, are explicitly banned from - making any repairs on-site (the council vehicles that come in have to be packed off to a different site; private bookings have to make their own arrangements), and though I've had a mix of passes, fails and advisories from them, they've never yet gone so far as to warn me that the car is dangerously unsafe and can't be allowed back on the road - even when the handbrake mounting was supposedly working a little loose. Given that they have no idea what my technical or legislative knowledge is when I rock up at the door, you'd think they'd be duty or even regulation-bound to give us a scripted lecture on it in case I'm clueless joe idiot who'll then go out and get himself arrested, or killed.

I'm a reasonable judge of the state of my vehicle in these cases and only occasionally get taken by surprise (e.g. a small, very hard to see hole in the sill; that handbrake issue, which no garage was then able to re-find to fix and didn't reappear on the next year's test report). If I had one in a bad enough condition that an MOT engineer would have grounds to immobilise it, I wouldn't bother taking it down there in the first place but would limp it slowly on hazards (or have it towed) the two miles down the road to the usual fix-it shop and re-book. Mainly when they've failed it's been dumb stuff like bulbs, the mismatched tyre, the hole in the exhaust which appeared mysteriously between the time I dropped it off (sounded fairly normal) and when I picked it up (roaring like a Nascar racer), etc...
Currently in tahrey's garage:
Honda CG125, Scott Voltage MX5, dirt, lots of random bottles and tools, porktastic Clio III DCi, dodgy shelves...
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome