Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Grand Scenic. No possible to get into gear.

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 16th February 2012 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Grand Scenic. No possible to get into gear.

Hi First time poster with no motor knowledge. Please be gentle.
We recently purchased a 2005 Grand Scenic for the family which had 97,000 miles on the clock. After six weeks the clutch went while my wife was driving. We had a mechanic take a look who advised that the clutch had gone and the dual mass flywheel also needed replacing. After a bit of hassle from the 2nd hand garage where we purchased the vehilce they agreed to do the work but as they didn't believe that the flywheel needed replacing we needed to contribute. We urgently needed the vehicle so we agreed. We have all the receipts and the old parts that were taken out. They also replaced the slave cylinder also.
After less than two weeks after the new parts were fitted, my wife was about to take the kids to school and found that she was unable to put the car into gear when the engine was running. I had to leave work and telephoned the garage who advised that I should attempt to "pump" the clutch for about 5-10 minutes and see if I could get it into gear. To my surprise this worked and I was able to drive it to the garage (about 15 miles away) He explained that he thought that the clutch need to be bled. When I picked it up the next day he told me this had been done but there was not much air in it and that I should use it as much as possible over the next couple of weeks. The car has been fine until today and exactly the same issue has occurred while my wife was with the kids quite a distance away from home. I had to leave work to pick them up. I again pumped the clutch pedal for about five/ten minutes and was then able to get the car into gear. I took the car for a drive and it seems to improve but it still felt a stiff. I managed to drive it about 40 miles back home and it seems okay most of the time but can someone explain what is happening here. I have read on this forum about the gear box oil . Could the oil need replacing. When the engine is not running and I use the gears they are very smooth. Any help or advised would be gratefully received. A great car for us by this problems has turned into a bit of a nightmare.
Currently in Monkeymaw's garage:
2005 Renault Grand Scenic

Last edited by Monkeymaw; 16th February 2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: spelling
  5 Lastest Threads by Monkeymaw
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Renault Grand scenic 2005 Handbrake problem Electronics ssray 4 7019 19th March 2012 12:28 PM
Grand Scenic. No possible to get into gear. Cars & motoring Monkeymaw 2 1982 16th February 2012 07:28 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome