Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Are Espaces as Unreliable as the reviews say?

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 17th February 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Are Espaces as Unreliable as the reviews say?

I also have that nervous feeling.Bought my 2.0 litre petrol 2 years ago for various reasons...which I won't bother you with. When they work they are excellent motor way touring cars.I have replaced the alternator ( myself).It failed at 20+K miles.Diodes fail. Known fault.Autos eat brake pads and Espaces eat front tyres....all compared to my previous Voyager.The Espace engine is way more capable than the petrol voyager. The Espace is a much easier drive in town but eats fuel....check the gov figures not renaults. I have replaced both tie rods at 35 K
Just had a cam belt change....530 at Main dealer with all pulleys including crankshaft....includes 12 month warranty....but looks like I will need it. I have a strange vibration + knocking.....which is actually why i am on this site.....posting to pass this bit of info on.I have just located the fault,,,,engine mounting is loose.Going back to dealer this week.Local garage price was 360...I'm guessing without cranshaft pulley.When I select climate control my idling gets rough and the air con pump sounds noisey. The air con has been pumped up but it is poor on a hot day.Loads of glass on the Espace and will not blow icey cold like the voyager.Seats are heavy to remove and backs get scuffed easily.Abo****ely no boot space with 7 seats...voyager did have some AND LACK OF SLIDING DOORS BECOMES A BIGGER PAIN BY THE DAY.You must be careful not to hit body work when removing seats.Heater will blow powerfully from dash but if feebly to your feet which get cold as a result. The panoramic view is great in the mountains but the Espace is more difficult judging tight spaces compared to to the bigger voyager where the pillars do give some reference point. I do my own routine servicing and discovered that I have a weeping auto box. Fortunately my espace model does have a dip stick!!!! Some don' visit for a refil !!
Gear box whines in 1St gear .... so my fingers are for ever crossed!!!!!!!!!!!
Currently in Fuego's garage:
2007 espace 2.0 T auto
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome