Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Have i bought a lemon?

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 20th February 2012
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Send a message via MSN to Azurael
Re: Have i bought a lemon?

I'd recommend 9K or even 6K mile oil changes with good quality synthetic, which should vastly reduce the risk of turbo failure. It's also a good idea to regularly clean and check the EGR valve is operating correctly, or alternatively disable it (which would be preferable to prevent intake soot accumulation, but not so practical on modern engines, I'm sure another memeber will have something to say on the topic.)

Assuming you stick to those golden rules, and the turbo isn't past it already, it should survive for a good long time.

Clutch (actually, it's the dual mass flywheel that can fail prematurely, but this applies to all modern diesels regardless of manufacturer) and gearbox failure have been heard of, yes, but I wouldn't say they're a dead cert problem with the car in the way the turbo failure is. It should keep you in many miles of comfortable motoroing as long as you stick to the oil changes and avoid water getting in the UCH (clear the scuttle and sunroof drains at least once a year! But you should be doing this with any car, it's just unfortunate that with a Laguna, the water that does leak in tends to get channelled straight into the cabin computer, which you really don't want.

All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. - Voltaire
Currently in Azurael's garage:
TEB64 (Cosmic Grey) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v Privilege Tourer (KG0B F4P-770)/TED44 (Odyssey Blue) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v 'Expressionale' Hatch (BG0B F4P-770)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome