Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Opinions on painting plastic body mouldings plz

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 4th March 2012 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 17 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,014 Posts
Opinions on painting plastic body mouldings plz

Ill just preface this by saying the 2012 "normal"Meganes are now coming with side mouldings painted body colour.

I wish to get mine painted, Ive checked/tried other possibilities and they arent satisfactory.
What I do want is to remove the black plastic effect, altho I think there has to be a bodyline break so the car doesnt look too slab sided.
What I dont want is the side mouldings painted to a nice hi gloss finish in the exact body colour of the car.

The surface will have to be primed then top colour paint applied,gee you think?

1.Can the rough plastic surface be maintained with primer app then top colour shade the same as the cars original on top of that or will the paint make the plastic surface smooth?
1.(a)Would leaving the plastic surface "rough" make it more susceptible to flaking , from say opening the door against a tree in a hi wind.

Chipping at the leading edge I could spot paint easily enough but if a big chunk of paint flaked away at the point of impact it would be annoying..

2.If trying to maintain the original rough plastic look would mean the paint would be too thin/easily susceptible to knocks:
My paint HNK comes in 2 shades of stone colour. The lighter shade seems to be what is on the car.
Would using the darker shade for a smooth finish on the plastic remove any possible flaking problem?

3.Is there a "satin finish" version of these paints and how durable are they?
Thats in the sense that I dont want an exact match between the body and side moulding paint but want it a lot closer than black plastic vs body colour

Some of the pics below have the "mud" effect from road puddle spray which blends the plastic to the body colour a bit.

The drivers side even tho its in shade has less mud spray so you can see the plastic cutoff point more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0136.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	15385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0137.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	15386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0138.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	15387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0139.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	15388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0140.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	15389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0141.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	15390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0142.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	15391  

Currently in coup's garage:
RM III coupe 1.5dci FVT,Audi TT Mk1 ,a bike and too much rubbish.
  5 Lastest Threads by coup
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Cheese factory explosion in France Jokes & funny stuff coup 0 187 6th July 2016 07:48 AM
Meg 3 fuel flap Electronics A55ii 4 210 1st July 2016 09:11 AM
conflict resolution, zohan method YouTube coup 0 251 8th March 2016 08:26 PM
Our Babs..sorry I missed a couple of o's Jokes & funny stuff Dancingdad 4 310 2nd March 2016 10:12 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome