Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Opinions on painting plastic body mouldings plz

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 5th March 2012 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 17 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,014 Posts
Re: Opinions on painting plastic body mouldings plz

Gave my local body detailing technician a call.
The guy who resprayed my drivers side front plastic wing/bumper for 50(probably didnt even need primer the cuts were so shallow, or maybe a spot or 2).

Anyway he isnt too keen on painting the "rough surface" plastic.
He reckons
1.the paint would chip off too easily from opening doors(other people opening doors on me)

The actual positioning of these mouldings on my car mean that most people opening doors on me are going to hit my metal door first unless they are driving a very old car or a van with dead straight to the bottom edge doors.
ie the midline metal curve of my cars sides will be hit by the midline curve of the opening door of a modern car long before my side plastic mouldings come into play.
In fact there is a "no worries hon" ding on the passenger door metal from the door swinging out against a fairly straight tree trunk.

The low down side mouldings protection capabilities seem to be questionable at best.

2.painting rough ..well textured plastic doesnt appeal to my local guy. The paint will appear darker than the body colour (good good, thas what I want)

3.He would like to paint plastic parts with a smooth finish that already have primer applied.Yeh me too.

The options on that are : buy some 2nd hand rs side mouldings , which have a pointed blade finish and ..well I just dont like the look.
or the latest regular meg side strips for 2012 which have a smooth finish and primer.
Cost of these which may not even have been ordered for a crash repair in England yet is about 120 per side .second hand they woud be non existent.

4. Something about needing application primer then pimer in sufficent amount to build up the surface without sanding on the plastic I have now and then the top colour coats, and the paint will be so thick that it will flake off easily with a hit on the surface.

It might be a failure to communicate.He probably thinks I want a seamless blending of the black plastic in to the regular bodywiork.
All I want is a much lower contrast between the black and the bronze/silver without looking diy.

I would prefer the look now to a seamless blend in of the moulding lumps.

I did apply some of the "leftover" water based paint from the front repair ,to the side strips and it looked good in mho.
I used no primer,just cleaned the surface,applied the water paint with a brush, cured with a hairdryer and the effect was, thas what I want if it could be permanent
I was able to clean it off rapidly with a wetcloth and some suprisingly hard rubbing.

Will new pics yet.. sigh of relief eh
Im supposed to be meeting the guy after work tomorrow.

Currently in coup's garage:
RM III coupe 1.5dci FVT,Audi TT Mk1 ,a bike and too much rubbish.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome