Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Buying advice on 1.4 Kangoo?

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 5th March 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Buying advice on 1.4 Kangoo?

I own 3 renaults, I have a 2004 Laguna 2ltr auto, my wife has 2001 1.4 Clio and as a toy I have a 2003 Kangoo 1.4ltr 8 valve auto. The first two are great plenty of power and reasonably economical, the Kangoo on the other hand is a gutless thirsty beast. I get more MPG from the Laguna. I only get 33MPG from the Kangoo average of motorway and town driving. The engineer who decided to put such lethal small engine in this car should be made to drive it every day. I am an expatriate Englishman from Yorkshire so I know you have lethally underpowered vehicles in the name of fuel economy but this was false economy. I am 65 years old so not a boy racer. I like enough power to get out into fast moving traffic but the pick up is so slow you need a gap of 100 yards if traffic is moving at 50 MPH. If the one you are looking at is 5 speed manual it may be better, I am sure I know the best gear to be in with the auto and probably could get better mileage and pickup changing manually. I have had a couple of problems with the passenger door lock not working and had to buy a new mechanism. I have tried everything to get the fuel economy better, new NGK iridium plug, new coil , new air filter etc. no one on this forum seem to be able to tell me if Kangoo's had a built in fault running too rich or a reason for my poor economy. Hope this helps and gives you more to check
Currently in Kiwi's garage:
2003 Kangoo 1.4l 8 valve plus 2004 Laguna II plus 2001 Clio II
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome