Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Just picked up a Megane CC & Already got problems!!

View Single Post
post #19 of (permalink) Old 9th March 2012 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Smile Re: Just picked up a Megane CC & Already got problems!!

Originally Posted by VelSatisfied View Post
I wasn't putting the boot in, but in all honesty any secondhand car should be viewed with a healthy dose of suspicion.

You are as much assessing the seller (and their motives to sell), as much as every part of the car - that's why a witness is advised, and a test-drive a must (testing all of the features).

It's all to allow you the information to make a balanced judgement; if you walk away, pay what the seller wants, or negotiate money off for the defects you spot/he agrees to fix them.

The 'problems' you have listed, would've all been spotted, if that had occured.

I presume you lowered the roof before buying?

I'm not as absolute in that sense, taking a witness, yada yada.. been there done it all before and it makes very little difference imho. A car is a machine and as such is bound to go wrong at some time. I've owned over 60 cars in my 22 years of driving, and even the most expensive, lavish, and relatively new cars can be a right pain in the a**e.. the difference is that you have a massive hole in your wallet from buying the thing, and sleepless nights when you find out what you then have to spend on it..

I did lower the roof before buying it, and it seemed to work fine, and the problems that i had the supplying 'dealer' had agreed to fix and subsequently didn't, and in hindsight i'm guessing that he realised that the deal wasn't in his favour, so he offered me at least 8 chances to 'recind' the deal and give me my deposit back. I declined.

To me it was a worthwhile gamble, and i'm not on this forum to whinge and complain, but to get advise to hopefully fix or alleviate some of the problems that i have inherited.

The roof has acted strange on one occasion, I lowered it, and then when it was raising and was halfway up it appears that the parcel shelf hadn't lowered and there was a rather unpleasant cracking noise. I put it back down, repeated the close procedure and it went fine.. why? I've no idea but it hasn't done it since.. The window seems a little too high, hence it's not 'parking' into the roof seal correctly, maybe nothing?

However the latest 'discovery', which incidentally wasn't apparent on the 'test drive', is that on starting up on two occasions, it's given very low revs and has either needed the throttle pressing a bit, or it's cut out then restarted ok. I've read about a dephaser thingy, but didn't think the 2.0vvt had one?

Other than that it's all peachy.. i'm running round town in rush hour traffic and getting 26mpg.. not bad i thought
Currently in bazza825's garage:
2004 Renault Megane CC 2.0vvt Privilege
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome