Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Door adjustment meg 3 coupe?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 9th March 2012 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 17 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,014 Posts
Door adjustment meg 3 coupe?

Coupe doors are a worry in terms of hinge drop,cos of the length.
My last car/coupe had no problems but the renault hinges dont fill me with long term confidence.

That isnt the probem atm.
long post: the top rear edge of the drivers door is sunken below the leading edge of the rubber on the rear window by about 1-2 mm when the door is closed.

The lower edge of the doorsticks out about 1-2mm from the edge of the door frame

The panel gaps around the edge of the door all seem consistent. No dropping at the back of the sill panel line or anything.

The passenger door reartop edge is flush with the rear window rubber. the lower edge sticks out marginally,enough so you could say it sticks out more than being flush , but no biggie.Panel gaps all seem good.

I just noticed this recently , maybe cos I let the car get dirtier than usual .
Car is 9 months old,7k miles:
Number of q's
1.I dont know if this problem was there from new but perhaps since the driver door has had a lot more use this settling away from the renault millimeter precision happens over time?

2. Im not going to just leave it ,(beyond ist service)as the longer the door seal,especially the upper edge is left in a slightly off position the more likely the seal will be to settle that way aside from the appearance being a lil annoying now Ive noticed it!.

3.(a)It would appear the solution is to move the door around the centre point of its vertical axis between the 2 hinges so that when it closes the top edge is now out 2mm and the bottom is now in 2mm.
Sounds great in theory , but how easy a job is it for someone moderately competent?

The top hinge has 3 bolts into the door ,the bottom has two.
The striker plate in the door itself has three bolts the door catch on the body has 2.

Possible problems if I attempt this myself:
If I dont get the adjustment exactly right on both the top and bottom hinge ,I could get binding on the hinge pins accelerating wear .

If i pull out the top edge of the door will the seal still be effective (there is also a seal along the rear side window that contacts the back edge of the door)

If I dont mark the exact position of the hinges before loosening it could be nasty.

The striker plate angle might need changing

4.If I leave it to be done under guarantee on the first service, would it be covered?
Would they be likely to do any better than I would myself at repositioning?

Maybe this is common , door is hung exactly at manufacture but the with 7k opening and closing it goes a lil out of true and they would do it in 10 min..?

I could do some pics , but it might seem a bit trivial for some.

Thx for reading

Currently in coup's garage:
RM III coupe 1.5dci FVT,Audi TT Mk1 ,a bike and too much rubbish.

Last edited by coup; 9th March 2012 at 07:40 PM.
  5 Lastest Threads by coup
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Cheese factory explosion in France Jokes & funny stuff coup 0 186 6th July 2016 07:48 AM
Meg 3 fuel flap Electronics A55ii 4 209 1st July 2016 09:11 AM
conflict resolution, zohan method YouTube coup 0 244 8th March 2016 08:26 PM
Our Babs..sorry I missed a couple of o's Jokes & funny stuff Dancingdad 4 308 2nd March 2016 10:12 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome