Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Tar spots on water based paint,any change?

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11th March 2012 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 17 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,014 Posts
Re: Tar spots on water based paint,any change?

Thx for the tips guys, but I would if still on my old type paintwork use the method Id allways used, paintwork was pristine when car was scrapped, well didnt look older than a year.

I mean I tried proprietary tar spot removers over the years ,paraffin,white spirit probably not, just cos in my own mind at least i thought of it as a paint solvent , but in the end I found the rapid wipe removal of petrol rag the best , for me as long as the area was washed immediately after, then polish up when the car had been despotted.
Part of the reasoning was paint finishes have to be resistant in some degree to petrol, since its probably splashed on cars a lot at filling stations.

This newer, to me, paint stuff is an unknown quantity
1. the 100% genuine renault touch up "kit" is a single pack,whatever lacquer finish comes on a "stone chip" fix is in the paint itself.
If the chip was deep enough Id have to apply a primer/rust inhibitor,but I digress.
2. Ive allways used manufacturer kits as the motor factor "we can make up the colour" ones suck.

The manufacturer metallic ones have allways been 2 pots. Colour and lacquer. now not

nb Im sure paul is right that the original finish /or a respray on the water paints has a solvent lacquer.

It too must also be somewhat resistant to petrol , its gonna get spills on it right?.
How thin is this coating , and lets say I was to change to white spirits would this definitely be better than petrol taking into account it would be on the lacquer for a longer time and could need more abrasion? .
I dont buy petrol now cept for the lawnmower anyway.
nb diesel is useless for tar spots it dissolves em so slowly its more like tar spot lacquer.

dive bombing birds : clean and polish your car and it must have a "bird toilet" sign on it.

Lemme quote an article on water based paints.
The tester was in some english university.

He tested a Renault Clio, leaving bird droppings on the bonnet for 40 hours.

The lacquer layer was pitted and swollen, but the paint layer and bodywork was unaffected. Al Clarke, head of communications for the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders was very reassuring - as you would expect. He said that this extra protective lacquer coat is there to protect the body from bird lime.

Renault has said that it was already aware of the problem and was looking into "toughening up" the paint. Vauxhall is working with the paint industry to increase water-based paints' resistance to bird lime attack

Ive recently(yday) despotted,washed and polished the car, seems ok, but as you probly know a full coat of simoniz carnuba type stuff is labour intensive.

Is there any more definitive "water based paint finish? , no worries use acme super water based paint tarspot remover" or just carry on as allways?
Whatever method you use.
nb the quoted text was in an article about metallic finishes, but it wasnt stated what finish was on the clio.

Currently in coup's garage:
RM III coupe 1.5dci FVT,Audi TT Mk1 ,a bike and too much rubbish.

Last edited by coup; 11th March 2012 at 07:35 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome