Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Clio - Starting Problems - A solution???

View Single Post
post #73 of (permalink) Old 15th March 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault - Clio - Starting Problems - A solution???

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me track down the problem with my Clio as I can't find anyone with the same problem. it's a y reg 1.9 diesel.

The engine turns over and starts fine but will sound a bit juddery and the accelerator pedal doesn't work (doesn't make the engine rev at all), if I switch it off, then restart it will sound perfect and drive fine.

But.... Since we had a really rainy weekend when it sat for two days, when you start it, it turns over and starts fine, but then revs really hard (about 3000) for about 1 second, then cuts out. It started about the 5th time, but sometimes you can try it 50 times and it still won't start. It starts, revs, then cuts out. now it's gone back to starting on the 2nd go.

We've sent the fuel pump off to be tested but it showed no faults, changed the tdc /crank sensor but that didn't help...

Any ideas? The aa man who rescued me did ask if there had been water problem in the car (noticed carpets were a bit damp after i bought it) as the fuse box was quite corroded, but my mechanic doesn't seem to think its this. But it did get worse after heavy rain, so poss a way problem.

Garage said the engine sounds perfectly healthy when it's actually running, and drives lovely (if you can start it that is!)

Any help greatly appreciated, sorry for the essay!!
Currently in Clioowner1's garage:
Y reg Clio 1.9 diesel
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome