Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - abs problem!

Thread: abs problem!
View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 19th March 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: abs problem!

Good day gentlemen

Ive got a Renault Megane 2001 1.6 RXE.

A few years ago my speed-o occasionally started switching on and off, giving me a shudder in my brake pedal. occasionally switching back on again. and recently ended up not starting at all..

Now this weekend i was fed up with the speed o not working and having done some research previously i decided to take on the challenge. i tested all four abs sensors, they working, also disconnected the abs control unit wiring loom and tested the connection between the control unit and all the abs sensors cables and concluded that they were working fine..

Next to the battery there is a main fuse box, inside there is a small white plug. there is a couple wires that run from the abs control module to the dash via this plug. after i did some research i understood that there was a lot of people complaining about wire corrosion at this white plug. i found corrosion and i ended up removing the plug completely by cutting it out and directly connecting the wires to another (color to color)

I also engaged the diagnostic mode on the dials and they all work fine..

All my hard work has provided little fruit as the speed-o still doesn't work. I'm suspecting the abs control module has gone and id like to hear from the forum members if they have any experience in this..

my car has very high mileage and is only worth about roughly R30 000 (3000 pounds). its been well maintained and serviced regularly but it would seems so pointless in spending 1/3rd of the cars value to get the speed-o working.

Kind regards
Currently in HolyCow's garage:
2001 Renault 1.6 rxe
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome