Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Clio 2 - Speedo Not Working*FIXED*

127K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  tprobee 
#1 ·
Hello to Everyone on the forum,
My wife has a 1998 Clio 1.2RN, the newish shaped one (S reg). We went to Wales (from Kent) this weekend and halfway up the M40 the speedo went from reading 70 to 0. After about 5 mins of no reading a warning light came on the dash that looks like one of those life support machine readouts?? Then after another 10 mins the speedo read ok again and the warning light went out. This has happened on and off all weekend with the speedo and warning light (speedo zero, light on and vice versa) coming on and off with anything from 2 mins to an hour between changes. Everything else on the car works perfectly and it drove to Wales and back with this going on/off without a hitch. In Wales I took both front wheels off but couldn't see a sensor or cable or anything that I thought maybe loose or dirty or something. Could anybody suggest what could be up that maybe I could fix myself.
Thanks in advance for any help,
Steve.

#33 ·
Hi, My daughter has a clio. It is year 2000 and is the 1.4s model. I do not think it has abs as there is no abs warning light on the dash. The speedo stopped working all of a sudden. I renewed the gearbox sensor whichdid not work. I then saw that one of the wires from the sensor was not connected. I re connected this using block connectors. Guess what....still not working. The other two wires coming from the sensor have the red male / female push connectors and look very green at the connector end. Would it be worth while re connecing both of these wires using block connectors. I just dont want to go on cutting wires if this is not the fault. I do hope someone is able to help with this rather irritating problem.

Thanking you

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.