Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - New discs and pads change on front - garage trying to fleece the missus?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 25th March 2012 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
New discs and pads change on front - garage trying to fleece the missus?

Hi all,
My missus recently had her 58 plate Clio III go in for a standard service at my local (and what I thought was reputable) garage.

I think they were severely trying to fleece her and wanted a second opinion.

For starters they didn't bother topping up tyre pressures (all were too low by about 3psi just 3 days after the service). They claimed her tracking was out by 3mm, but as they wanted to charge her nearly 50 to correct it. I went to another garage who would do it for 20. They put it on the ramp and said it was dead perfect tracking! They also claimed the inner wall of her tyre was at 1mm (I measured it as 2.9mm - well off!). Lastly they said her discs were worn and lipped, and the pads worn. Because they wanted the best part of 200 to fix this I bought my own discs and pads and went to fit them today, to find that the discs had loads left on them (am I right in thinking Renault advise replacement below 19mm) - these were 21.5mm - the new ones had 22.2mm. They were slightly lipped but nothing too bad. The pads also had 4.5mm on each! (the new ones I got had 12.5mm).

Basically are they trying to fleece her - i.e. am I justified in calling them up to give them an earful.

One more thing - are there any better jack up points on the Clio III as I used the sill ones which I always feel uneasy doing as there is no space to put axle stands on. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance!
Currently in andyz0's garage:
Subaru Impreza WRX 05 Blobeye and Renault Clio III 58 1.5 dCi
  5 Lastest Threads by andyz0
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Clio III Headlight Clip Electronics andyz0 2 1837 2nd April 2012 02:33 PM
Clio III Cruise Control In-car entertainment Colin :) 4 2844 25th March 2012 07:36 PM
New discs and pads change on front - garage... Brakes/Hubs S80 11 3278 25th March 2012 07:24 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome