Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Heating and Cooling - Aircon problems ? (Answers + useful info.)

View Single Post
post #17 of (permalink) Old 26th March 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Heating and Cooling - Aircon problems ? (Answers +

Hi again, gents

Some time ago (I think it was during January '12) my car had a cabin ventilation blower/fan burn. My Laguna is a 2000model RXT 2.0l 16V with digital controls.

The cause of the burnt blower/fan was an almost totally blocked filter which was supposed to be changed during a major service at a Renault dealer here in Cape Town, but the filter was never changed.

A local mechanic who has done good work for me on my other Renault cars, fitted a used blower fan and also fitted a new filter after this burn incident.

There were no damage to any loom or multipin sockets or plugs at the time of the incident and only 1 coil of the blower fan showed minor damage of burning or overheating.

Anyway, the replacement part worked perfectly for all the time since January - with or without the climate control switched on.

About three weeks ago, I heard a very slight 'rustle' from the fan (as if a leaf was in a duct) but this noise also disappeared.

One morning about a week ago, I found a small green ball in the car's footwell - looking as if it could have come from a green blade fuse.

I opened the fuse compartment and very carefully inspected all the fuses for signs of melting or burning but found nothing amiss.

Over the past weekend, we made a trip to the beach and on the way there I used the climate control as it was hot.

On leaving the beach, none of the ventilation controls worked - no fan, but all the controls lit up when activated.

When we arrived back home and since I was seriously 'spooked' by the January incident, I removed one of the battery terminals to prevent another fire.

A few hours later, I reconnected the car's battery and parked the car in my garage, leaving the battery connected.

The next morning (this past Saturday), I found everything to be working properly again and also throughout yesterday everything was back to normal.

Today, the same problem recurred again and I again removed 1 battery cable incase of a problem.

This time, I made a more thorough inspection of all the fuses. I checked each fuse and all of them were OK. For good measure, I used the fuse pulling tool, removed each fuse and re-inserted it incase there was a bad contact somewhere.

Inside the fuse compartment, I also saw what looks like a relay with a grey colour. There was a millimetre of the relay blades visible and I used a flat blade screw driver and carefully pushed the relay upwards and fully home.

I don't know what could be the problem now with the car's ventilation system failing twice now since last Friday.

I spoke today with the mechanic who installed the replacement blower fan and to his credit he promised to discuss the problem with an auto electrician but both these guys are not Renault technicians.

Would anyone have any idea where to start troubleshooting this problem please?

Currently in 11TXE's garage:
2000 Renault Laguna RXT
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome