Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Warrantee for a 2003 Espace 3.0DCi - is it worth it?

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 27th March 2012
d'espace between my ears
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Re: Warrantee for a 2003 Espace 3.0DCi - is it worth it?

I would really second that, after market warranties are a minefield and you do need to be careful. Finding a repairer to do warranty work is not always easy.

I had an aftermarket warranty on my previous car, a humble Mondeo. It was a very bad experience. The head gasket failed. Firstly the warranty company tried to tell me it wasn't covered, I had the Exclusive cover which did not list the head gasket as not covered, but did have some rather wishy washy clause about rubber seals etc which is what they tried to use. I had to threaten a small claims action before they agreed it was covered. Then I couldn't find a repairer who would go through their pre approval process as stripping the car and estimating the damage was a considerable process in it's own right. So I opted for their approved repairer and all they could refer me to was a franchised service centre who hadn't got a clue what to do with it. When I tried to stress that the onus was on them to find a suitable approved repairer, as this was an option written in the policy they just tried to pass the buck and put it back on me. A solicitors letter later they agreed that our local Ford Main Dealer would collect and repair the car.

This was one of the big warranty companies, advertised by a rather famous TV motoring journalist, not some fly by night.

All very unsatisfactory.

As for your quote of 500 it does sound reasonable. The other big warranty company quoted me 697 of 679, cant remember now, when I bought my 3.0dci three years ago with 80k. That was for an exclusive policy inc wear and tear with a maximum claim limit of 2500 per claim and vehicles trade value over the life of the cover.

I chose not to go that way for two reasons, a) my previous experience with the other company,and b) if a repair was need in excess of 2500 they would provide no cover, they don't pay the 2500 and let you pay the rest, and the big concerns with the 3.0 dci are issues with engine liners, injector pump, turbos, all which can cost more than 2500

I could not get a policy with cover over 2500 for my car.
Currently in d'espace between my ears's garage:
Nothing French!
The Following User Says Thank You to d'espace between my ears For This Useful Post:
VelSatisfied (27th March 2012)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome