Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Electronics - Xenon Headlights - Discussion & how to change out

View Single Post
post #44 of (permalink) Old 2nd October 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
The law says that if you have high intensity discharge (HID) headlights fitted, you MUST also have:
a) headlamp washers and
b) an automatic levelling system
The argument goes that as these lights are so much brighter it is more important to ensure that they don't dazzle oncoming motorists even when the car is heavily laden or the lamps are dirty.
Having said that, I know a number of people who have fitted aftermarket lights without the washers etc. I have never known anyone to be pulled by the rozzers, though I dare say it must happen from time to time. One might think the police have better things to do with their time...
The presence of hid's without washers or levelling IS NOT an mot fail (although I have heard that this may change). I did fail on a previous car because I had only converted one side when it went into the mot and the tester said they have to be equally bright (or dim...).

By the way, my car has hid's fitted as standard so no - I'm not driving around illegally.

Hope this helps
Currently in hidnmine's garage:
2007 Clio DCi Initiale, 2009 Audi A6, and a 2009 Triumph Sprint ST
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome