Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 2002 Clio - Speedo Reads At 150%

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 31st March 2012 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Exclamation 2002 Clio - Speedo Reads At 150%

Having read a number of articles on this excellent forum and come to the conclusion the speedo reading 150% more than it should was caused by the reluctor ring on the N/S drive shaft.

I checked the O/S one and it looks like a 26 tooth reluctor ring, the N/S was definately more probably 44.

I called in a mechanic to do the work and supply the part and the arrived with a drive shaft with a 26 tooth reluctor ring off a 2002 model clio.

After removing the old drive shaft they could not fit the new one as the spline was a different size (fatter).

After some calls to motorcraft they stated that the 44 tooth was right for the car but it still puzzles me that it would have different sizes on the two drive shafts.

My questions to the experts here are;

1. Is it conceivable that Renault put 26 on one side and 44 on the other for the reluctor rings?

2. Are there different fitting drive shafts available and was this a case of actually its the wrong one?

3. How can I find out if the 26 reluctor should be on the car (N/S) as Renault were next to useless when I called the dealer.

Many thanks if you made it this far and even more if you respond to the above.

Any help in sorting this problem out is appreciated.
Currently in numb3r9's garage:
Audi TT 225 Coupe (Mine) / Renault Clio 1.2 (Sons)
  5 Lastest Threads by numb3r9
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
2002 Clio - Speedo Reads At 150% Cars & motoring numb3r9 3 991 31st March 2012 07:09 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome