Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Handbrake Seizing - Help with Diagnosis Please?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 1st April 2012 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Handbrake Seizing - Help with Diagnosis Please?

About 6 months ago my handbrake started to stick with a 'handbrake failure' type message locking up the dash. I took it to Renault who told me that I needed a new EHU. I didn't have the money to do the work so I left it.

After a while it stopped binding and seemed to work fine. The dash was still frozen up with the error message but the park brake worked as it should.

About 2 weeks ago, it stopped working at all, I could hear the box trying to pull the cable tight and release it as it should but it just didn't hold. It then started to screech every time I tried to tighten the brake and still didn't hold.

I saw the state of the discs, one has a worn strip all around it about an inch thick and a mm or 2 deep. The other one has the same but the worn strip is most of the disc and less deep - somewhere near normal.

I read on this here forum that the screeching happens when the discs and pads are chewed up. I bought myself a set of good quality, newish 2nds discs and padsn and went to fit them.

I noticed once the wheel is off that although I had released the handbrake the spring lever on the caliper had not returned to its top at all. (Both sides were the same and I did the same thing - saves me writing it all twice) I hit the lever with a hammer to get t to return to it stop, oiled it, hit it the other way, oiled it over and over until it seemed to move freely. The discs turned nicely now with the hand brake off. The error on the dashboard also went off.

That is unitl I tried to turn it on with the lever. The error came back. Both discs were on tight and the unit did not screech. When I went to release the handbrake it did not release other than with the emergency yellow handle in the boot. The caliper lever had not returned to its stop properly. I tried moving the lever by hand and oiling again about ten times but still kept getting the same conclusion.

I then tried winding the piston back in a touch
which did loosen the brakes but then when the handbrake was applied got the same story as above.

I now have a handbrake that seized.

I think its my calipers that are knackered. I have discs and pads to put on it but wonder if I need calipers too. Can someone with more experience than me give their opinion please!

Some advise on how I might stop them seizing would be very useful, but if the calipers are nackered I realise this might not be possible. As it stands I have a car I cannot use until i fix it.

Does anyone know if there is anything more I can do to further test the handbrake system to get a clearer conclusion? I dont have a reader, just spanners.

Thanking you very much in advance.

Currently in Doferdude's garage:
2004 Renault Grand Scenic Privilege 1.9DCi
  5 Lastest Threads by Doferdude
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Top Plates, Track Rod Ends... Steering and Suspension Doferdude 3 1024 21st October 2012 08:09 AM
Who Manufactures Coil Springs for Renault? Steering and Suspension Doferdude 6 1451 10th October 2012 04:17 PM
EGR Valve Engines Ralph 1 880 14th May 2012 04:55 PM
CAM Belt, Water Pump and Fan Belt Engines Doferdude 2 999 14th May 2012 04:51 PM
Front Bearring Replacement. Press: Y or N Brakes/Hubs bugsb 11 1941 6th April 2012 03:02 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome