Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Door check-strap repair, Espace 3

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 15th April 2012 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Door check-strap repair, Espace 3

Thought I'd briefly describe a task I had a go at today.

The check strap on the driver's door was inoperative. Pulling the boot off and carefully sticking in a little finger, I could feel that one of the sleeves that acts against the strap, and locks it at indented points, was missing.

The length/size/etc of the check strap on the driver's door looked much the same as that on the back, so I figured I might take the back strap off and swap for the front (and it turns out they are the same part, on my car at least).

I took the back off first (the logic being that if I needed to drive it somewhere after making a ****-up then better it is the back than the front) and that was really easy. (see 'Note 1'), and took off the door strap (note 3)

Then I took the front door trim off (note 2) and removed that door strap too. In my case, the strap just came out when the bolt was undone as the sleeve had dropped out. After I had removed both 'parts' of the mechanism, I fished around inside the bottom of the door and found the sleeve that had dropped off.

I'm in a quandry just now, because it is easy to repair this - all I have to do is stick a bolt through the holes. Before, there was a pin with a clip washer on one end. This had worked loose and the thing had simply deconstructed itself.

I'm wondering whether a repaired mechanism (with a bolt and loc-nut) is stronger/better than the weedy looking 'pin and clip washer' arrangement. Clearly, this has failed in service. I think maybe I should just fix the front mechanism and put it back where it was, rather than swap the (relatively unused) rear door check strap with the front door one.

Not yet reassembled it all, but I'm glad this job has gone smoothly. I fear Renault trim jobs, for the infernal intricacies of design they seem to employ, but the Espace seems to be designed and built in a more straightforward manner for easier assembly/disassembly [providing all the bolts and fasteners work and don't jam up/drop out/break!!]

1] Espace 3 rear door trim removal: There are just two screws on the bottom and one inside the pull handle under a screw cover. Pull the switch gear out (no appreciable resistance) and unplug. Similarly the surround around the opening handle just pulls off, as does a piece of triangular trim in the corner of the window (pull off in a ~45 deg direction 'in' and 'forward'). Then the panel just lifts off. Unplug the speaker before detaching completely. Easy as...

2] Front door trim removal: Two screws along the bottom edge, one near the top hinge, and one near the door latch. Unplug the screw cover in the bottom of the handle-pull, and unscrew that one too. Switch gear panel pulls off. Unplug colour coded plugs. There's no trim around the opening handle to pull off, instead there is a bracket you can see once the switch panel is out, and a black screw holding it to the door. Remove that screw. Remove the triangular trim around the window (pull off in a ~45 deg direction 'in' and 'backwards'). The panel can now be part-lifted out but there is still a rod connected between the opening handle and the door release mechanism. Working under the half-lifted trim, there is a black sleeve that needs to be pushed back to release the rod - use an open-ended spanner to allow you to push against both sides of it, pushing it back, then wiggle the rod loose. The panel now lifts out - unplug the speaker. Done.

3] Check strap removal: Pull the boot off the door around the strap reveals two 10mm hex nuts. The 13mm hex bolt at the end of the strap is screwed into a captive nut inside the door pillar. Scary loose - wasn't sure if I was going to lose that sucker! But it stayed put! When the bolt is free enough to be turned by finger power, the door needs to be part closed (else the strap in the 'extended position' prevents extraction from the door) then finish undoing the [13mm hex] bolt. Open the door, remove the boot, and undo the two 10mm hex nuts, with one hand reaching through the upper aperture in the door to support it as it comes loose.
Currently in donald68's garage:
Grand Espace 3 16v Auto, Scenic Dti Auto & Fluence ZE
The Following User Says Thank You to donald68 For This Useful Post:
VelSatisfied (15th April 2012)
  5 Lastest Threads by donald68
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Broken bleed nipples and caliper replacements. Brakes/Hubs donald68 2 904 26th July 2014 02:00 PM
Espace III 3 exhaust manifold suspect leaks /... Exhausts donald68 2 1093 29th June 2014 11:38 AM
Espace 3, not unlocking on fob? Electronics classified 2 983 26th December 2013 03:47 PM
Espace 3 III rear disc removal? Brakes/Hubs donald68 1 971 31st August 2013 03:12 PM
DP0 Auto ATF oil change, Scenic dTi. Transmissions scenic55 3 3598 3rd March 2013 06:29 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome