Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Epace Door Stay bolt lost inside.

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 18th April 2012
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Epace Door Stay bolt lost inside.

I'm currently waiting for some bolts to come through the post to repair the broken check strap I've removed - plus 'upgrade' the existing one (on the same side), to replace the pivot pin that the sleeve rotates on. (I'm a bit concerned, because the best I could find was A4 stainless bolts, but really what is needed is a hardened bearing pin.)

So this means I am having all the time in the world to become as paranoid as I possibly can be that when I come to bolt that bolt back into the 'captive' nut inside the A pillar that I'm gonna b@lls it up and lose the nut.

In answer to Gurney's question (and planning beforehand how to deal with the hellish aftermath of the 'worst scenario') is there anything to be done here;

a) Is there anything I can do to, e.g., glue the nut onto the inside of the piilar? (I can't really see this, as tightening up the nut would crack off any glue that was holding the nut there)

b) In the horror situation, would there be anything wrong in opening up the hole a little so that the head of a bolt, with a washer on, can be worked through it and a nut used to secure the check strap to the pillar?

I've had a similar situation before, and what I did before is to tie some strong cotton around the end of the bolt first, so that it can be passed into the hole and held from falling in, and then the nut is threaded onto the cotton. Otherwise, you'll likely end up dropping the bolt in there too!!
Currently in donald68's garage:
Grand Espace 3 16v Auto, Scenic Dti Auto & Fluence ZE
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome