Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - advice before buying a clio diesel

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 19th April 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: advice before buying a clio diesel

I agree with these guys - if visible soot is present it needs a day with my girl friend AKA lead foot.

Should a good blow out not clear it might be worth mentioning seeing the mileage there, is also an EGR valve (exhaust gas recirculation) a rubbish idea that on higher miled cars needs a good clean out along with it's surrounding parts - not a particularly hard job, it takes about 2 hours and simple tools (half decent socket set really).
it re-circulates some exhaust gas to reduce emmissions and aid with the heating up of the engine - it closes when at optimum temperture.

A nifty trick I learnt in the desert (okay some really helpful person told me on here) try using the AirConditioning after starting to see if anything improves - it closes the EGR and no exhaust gas will be entering the combustion chamber. if it does improve I suggest cleaning EGR and related parts.

If this does not, suspect an oil leak - but that usually smokes 24/7 and when accelerating heavy. So it doesn't match what you describe.

Hope you make a good choice, best of luck!
Currently in SomersetScott's garage:
Mégane 1.5dCi Rush (Mk 2, 2005), Clio 1.5dCi (Mk 2, 2005) & Rover 100 K-series 1.1L (1996)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome