Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Clio - Starting Problems - A solution???

View Single Post
post #77 of (permalink) Old 20th April 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault - Clio - Starting Problems - A solution???

Originally Posted by Marty V8 View Post
My wifes 1.2 Clio recently developed starting problems. I gave it to the local Renault Dealer for a day so they could run the diagnostic check on it. After they had relieved me of 70 they told me they couldnt find a fault with it. So I just went ahead and bought the crank sensor and loom, and fitted them myself. This improved matters but didnt eradicate them.

I happened to mention it to my MOT tester who said "Try the spare Key, there's a known problem with the key developing dry joints".

So we did, and it hasnt failed to start since - first time, every time. As a matter of interest I used the normal key for a while, and the problems re-appeared.

Try it. It might just be a cheap solution - certainly has worked for us - so far that is.

My son's 2002 1.5 diesel Clio that he inherited from my wife was having intermittent starting problems that were getting worse as time went on. Changed the batteries (CR1220: 1.50 for 5 on ebay ) in both keys and problem totally disappeared.
Currently in Frank111254's garage:
2002 Clio
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome