Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Door check-strap repair, Espace 3

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 27th April 2012 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Door check-strap repair, Espace 3

I 'refurbished' the check straps - both of them, infact, because the basic design looks a little weak to me.

Figured it might be useful to the forum to show what these things look like, and the repair that I did on them.

On the driver's side, the upper hole the pin went through had opened up, and the pin dropped out.

Interestingly, the lower hole on the driver's side was smaller than both the pin holes on the passenger check-strap, which to me suggests the passenger one was already getting loose too.

So I did the fix, as shown in the photos, to both check straps. Both are now fitted and work perfectly.

Time will tell whether the bolts I used are hard enough to resist wearing down quickly, but it's not like the roller gets that much use - on average a few times a day is all. Dismantling the door trims is really very simple, so I have no concerns doing that again - so long as those pesky 'captive' nuts in the door pillars don't give any further problems if I need to take them out again!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	check_strap_repair_1.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	15971   Click image for larger version

Name:	check_strap_repair_2.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	15972   Click image for larger version

Name:	check_strap_repair_3.jpg
Views:	209