Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 2003 Megane Dci - Brakes problem

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 28th April 2012 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
2003 Megane Dci - Brakes problem

I have just noticed a quite scary braking problem on my Megane.

I have had it for around 6 months and noticed a slight braking deficiency sometimes before.
It hadn't really been a big deal as I wasn't 100% sure that what I felt was actually happening as it was so rare and I couldn't make it happen again.

But yesterday I worked out how to make it happen...

As I drive economically, I really don't have to brake hard very often. When I do, the brakes have a problem.

When braking at slow speeds (when approaching a roundabout for instance), the pedal is pressed slowly and gradually. The pedal depresses slowly and brings the car to a stop nicely.

However, when doing an emergency stop or braking aggressively, the pedal seemed to stop, which stops me engaging the brakes fully.
It's hard to explain but it's as if the first part of the pedal press goes fine and the pedal depresses normally, until around half way down and then the pressure stops the pedal going all the way down, therefore stopping the brakes engaging fully.

I tested this while driving at low speed.
While driving, instead of pushing the pedal normally, I pumped the brake pedal a few times.
Sure enough, the pressure built up so the pedal was stiff and at the top of its axis, and sure enough, I was still going. I couldn't depress the pedal enough to stop the car.
When I pressed the pedal hard, it gradually lost the pressure and when the pedal reached the lower part of the axis, it started stopping the car.

I did this a few times while testing. Then when I got out I could smell the brakes burning.
This was a surprise because I would have thought, due to my testing showing the pressure of the pedal causing "less braking", surely the brakes should be getting less stress on them.

Any idea what's going on as I need to get this sorted asap.

Currently in jackrmee's garage:
2005 Megane Coupe Cabrio 2litre 16v, 2004 Shogun Sport Equippe, 2004 Clio Dynamique 1.2litre 16v, 2004 Ford StreetKa Winter, 2004 MR2 Roadster 1.8vvti, Honda Shadow 600cc.
  5 Lastest Threads by jackrmee
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
DF010-Combined stalk under steering wheel... Electronics jackrmee 4 461 2nd June 2016 11:02 AM
05 Megane CC 2litre "Check Injection". Engines jackrmee 3 154 20th May 2016 07:53 PM
Garage lighting with no electric? Tools & equipment VelSatisfied 12 616 10th April 2016 08:44 PM
2003 Laguna DCi...Power steering belt controls... Engines Dancingdad 1 248 6th September 2015 10:14 AM
05 Megane CC windows not working properly. Electronics jackrmee 2 259 5th September 2015 09:52 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome