Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Door check-strap repair, Espace 3

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 29th April 2012 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Door check-strap repair, Espace 3

The thing is, unless the pin is fixed to prevent rotation then it will begin to rotate and the pin-hinge interface will become a wearing surface too (even if it just a little 'play' rotation, one way then the other each time, in fact that could possibly be worse because it'd be the same point wearing all the time).

That's why the pin in the 'Renault' design is knurled - it is meant to be fixed. I can't actually see what the starclip does, because if that pin starts moving (as you can see happened on mine where the hole opened up) then I reckon the starclip will not manage to hold it in place for very long at all. The forces on the pin/roller are very large, that spring is a real brute.

The nut-and-bolt does everything required of it, by providing the opportunity to clamp it stationary to the hinge. The washers I used were a sandwich of washers and star washers (with a star washer being in contact with the hinge) to prevent rotation of the bolt, wrt the hinge.

The roller appears to be hardened, as does the pin. Those seem to be correct material selections. It is the pin-hinge interface that is questionable.

...I've replaced the questionable pin-hinge interface with a questionable pin-roller interface!!.... We'll have to see what the wear-rate is like on the bolt.
Currently in donald68's garage:
Grand Espace 3 16v Auto, Scenic Dti Auto & Fluence ZE
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome