Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Hello and I have a servicing question

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 4th May 2012
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 17 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,014 Posts
Re: Hello and I have a servicing question

years 90-2000, 12000 /1 year was the general service interval.Usually your handbook would say something like , if you drive in the Sahara or more realistically mainly town driving get an intermediate oil (not filter ) change at 6000 miles.
Before 1990 it was generally 10000 and 5000 miles.

My car is the 18k miles renault job/or one year. Actually cos Im not in UK its supposed to be 30k km/one year.

However when I bought the car I was told that the service interval is set at 20k km or 12000 miles approx or one year whichever occurs soonest.

The reason for this I was informed is that Irish drivers tend to be a bit forgetfull..

Ive done some 10k miles.and have in theory 2 full months till service is due,however while the mileage is still within limits the service countdown message is on "20 days till service"

The service clock must have been started well before I actually received the car.
Ive been in contact with the dealers and have recieved the response along the lines of "well since your such a good boy we can reset the service interval to extend things to 2 years and 30k km"

er gee thx guys .

Personally I dont want a first ever service at nearly 2 years. The 1000 mile after buying check to make sure "Pablo" wasnt hungover when passing the car out of the factory allways seemed a good Idea to me.

In short Im gonna get the car serviced a little short of the 1 year mark, when the service indicator says to.I have a few guarantee probs to look into,nothing major,but dealer servicing love those.

My last car in the early years, I allways changed the oil myself at 6000 miles..but oil is v expensive now so..they can do it.

Back to you :
Is the oil level v low ?
4600 miles is too short a recommended service time for a new renault.
They can reset it easily enough but I would get em to change your oil .. for the inconvenience, oil alone cost is around 50-60.
If its an actual probem of oil level dropping and triggering a service warning..thats still their baby.

Get any possible guarantee niggles sorted out as well.

There is another aspect.
Apparently you need to get a renault certified bodywork check for your paint/corrosion guarantee every year.
make sure you get covered for that :
I mean if they tell you you wont have to come back for another year/12000 miles make sure your paint/body check guarantee of 1 year checks is covered.

Currently in coup's garage:
RM III coupe 1.5dci FVT,Audi TT Mk1 ,a bike and too much rubbish.
The Following User Says Thank You to coup For This Useful Post:
VelSatisfied (4th May 2012)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome