Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - The psychology of 'car-owners-paranoia'.

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 5th May 2012 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
The psychology of 'car-owners-paranoia'.

Is the following type of situation common, or is it really just me... Am I mad and paranoid after all?!?

OK, so my Espace fuel level has been floating around the nearly-empty range for a week, in anticipation of it going in for a new fuel tank top-seal that is leaking.

The 'need fuel' sign comes up with an indicated 2 gallon left in the tank (60 miles)

I went 20 miles past that 'need fuel' sign, so that should mean I still had ~6 litres of usable fuel in the tank, according to the trip computer.

Always been a bit concerned about running a tank low, the old-story that it sucks up dirt (does it? don't think so..?) and maybe not enough cooling if the fuel isn't flowing through the motor (is it really so different to when the engine is idling and not passing much fuel?)

So with this psycho-baggage of concerns, I stepped out of the car and I listen to the lifter pump whining away. 'Oh NO!' me thinks. 'I've damaged it! This is why I NEVER let my car run so low on fuel!!'

Listening again to the recordings I made of the engine recently (to record the before-and-after effect of the dephaser pulley that you can find in another thread), I can now hear [what sounds like] this lifter pump whining in the previous recordings too!

So I think there's been no change at all, but for some reason this lifter pump now sounds like it is screaming-loud, whereas I just didn't notice it before at all!

So, I guess it is paranoia, but is it typical paranoia?

Anyone with similar stories? Or is it just me!!?
Currently in donald68's garage:
Grand Espace 3 16v Auto, Scenic Dti Auto & Fluence ZE
  5 Lastest Threads by donald68
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Broken bleed nipples and caliper replacements. Brakes/Hubs donald68 2 905 26th July 2014 02:00 PM
Espace III 3 exhaust manifold suspect leaks /... Exhausts donald68 2 1094 29th June 2014 11:38 AM
Espace 3, not unlocking on fob? Electronics classified 2 985 26th December 2013 03:47 PM
Espace 3 III rear disc removal? Brakes/Hubs donald68 1 971 31st August 2013 03:12 PM
DP0 Auto ATF oil change, Scenic dTi. Transmissions scenic55 3 3598 3rd March 2013 06:29 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome