Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Help with boot trim

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 6th May 2012
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Re: Help with boot trim

Hi there and welcome.

Removing the trim is reasonably straightforward; there will be some form of selftapping screw in where the recess is located for pulling the tailgate closed.

There will also be a couple around the outer edge of the trim panel.

The trim will then be held by plastic pop-clips (shaped a bit like mushrooms), which the wider end it anchored in the trim piece, and the shaft locates into holes in the tailgate.

These clips are pretty brittle (intended to be single-use only), so can therefore snap quite easily, so its a case of gentle, but steady force to undo the panel.

Regarding the dent, it may not be possible to get it out 100% (metal does stretch under force), and working at a dent is a skilled job, for which there is no substitute for experience (I've been doing it for 7 years). The most important thing is - don't use anything which can crack the paint (no screwdrivers, etc).

Personally speaking - access may also be an issue. I would just 'fess-up' and pay for the repair, rather than paint myself into a corner or damage it further, necessitating a new tailgate.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
The Following User Says Thank You to VelSatisfied For This Useful Post:
coup (6th May 2012)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome