Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Electric Window problem in my 52 reg Clio. Could it be the ECU?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 5th October 2006 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Electric Window problem in my 52 reg Clio. Could it be the ECU?

On Sunday I was driving home from visiting a friend when the driver's side electric window in my 52 reg Clio 1.2 16V Extreme started to misbehave... first of all it would wind up without me pressing the button, then, when I got home, the window would go down but not back up! (not great as I have to leave my car on my street in London, plus it was blowing a gale!)

I checked all the fuses and poked at the wires that lead from the dashboard to the door, but nothing could make the window go back up. With the window stuck fully open I could hear an electrical "click" from near the fuse box when pressing down but no noise at all when pressing up.

I took the car to my local Renault Minute the following morning and, after inspection, they say they have checked the wires and switches but believe the problem to be with the ECU ("electronic control unit") and have quoted 385 (inc parts and labour) for a replacement. A lot of money!!

I posted this on to see if people thought I should pay up or try and get a second opinion - and several people responded that they didn't think it likely that the ECU was to blame at all. I would have thought that the ECU is more involved with things like injection, ignition, etc, than with something relatively simple like an electric window motor.

I've had experience in the past of being vastly overcharged by a main dealer so wondered if anyone could offer any advice? Is it likely that the ECU is involved? Should I get a second opinion? If it is the ECU is it true that only main dealers can fix the problem because it is coded to the car?

Thank you for your help!!!!!
Currently in jamesw4's garage:
52 Renault Clio 1.2 16V Extreme
  5 Lastest Threads by jamesw4
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Electric Window problem in my 52 reg Clio. Could... Electronics MIKERB211 3 9341 5th October 2006 06:42 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome