Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic II handbrake module

View Single Post
post #18 of (permalink) Old 12th May 2012
Cardinal Sin
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 22
Nominated 0 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Thanks: 5
Thanked 23 Times in 6 Posts
Smile Re: Scenic II handbrake module

Handbrake now fixed.(530) After finding a source for the unit and reasonable price for programming I ended up having to go to a dealer near Dunfermline as I needed the car fixed quickly.
As it turned out, it was around 65 quid more that it would have been to do it myself and get it programmed.
Anyway I have retained the old unit which I will strip down and take photos of it.
My main problem was the inner cables were jamming due to a rusted and broken outer cable on both sides. The inner cable has a clear plastic cover that had wrinkled and peeled causing it to jam at the end part of the outer cable that is held by the C-clip. This prevented the cable releasing fully as the outer cable moved away from the calliper fixing and the inner cable didn't move. One of the two rubber shock mounts that hold the main unit to the plastic sub frame was also broken. this also allowed the unit to move slightly..
I did strip down the unit, it is easy enough to remove it (remove the spare wheel to make it easier still). Also removing the actuator arm on the calliper to make removing and replacing the cable easy. (Splined shaft)
With the unit cover removed, the cable end caps unscrew allowing you to lubricate the inner cable, whilst moving the cable back and forth so that the lubricant travels down the inner section to the nipple end.
My mistake was that after removing the damaged inner plastic cover, I then cleaned up the broken cable ends...and removed the broken part from inside the cable end termination that the cable should be attached to.
This resulted in shortening the cables by over 10 mm each side. After replacing the unit it worked smoothly ... until it started making a nasty grinding noise, I'm assuming the screw in the motor assembly was screwing in too far and eventually jammed. The unit stopped working. (remember to use silicon gasket sealant when refitting the cover)
I should have fabricated a spacer to put on the end of the cable to compensate for the short cable. Hindsight is a great thing......
Once I open up the unit I will find out what went wrong.
Many thanks for all the info supplied by the Forum.
Currently in Cardinal Sin's garage:
2005 Grand Scenic 1.6 Heap, 2001 Ford Focus 1.4, 1995 Corsa 1.2
Cardinal Sin is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Cardinal Sin For This Useful Post:
Gonescenile (12th May 2012)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome