Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How do I improve suspension on megane 1

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 7th October 2006
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

The front suspension is fairly easy to sort,but the rear uses a torsion beam and isn't quite so easy to uprate.

If you don't mind a harsh ride,then you can uprate and lower the front suspension by changing the springs and fitting some good quality shock absorbers.If you want the ride to be comfortable but slightly stiffer,then the shocks on their own will make a massive difference.

The rear can be lowered,but not really uprated,although again a decent pair of shocks will transform the ride.

As for the steering,what tyre and wheel size have you got?.In general,the lower tyre profile you have,then the sharper the steering will be.Also,have a look and see if there are any worn parts in the steering system,as this will obviously effect things.It's no good to fit a nice set of alloys and good quality tyres if you've got a worn track rod end or suspension bush.....

In my opinion,I would get some quality gas shocks fitted,and maybe think about changing the tyre and wheel size.Also consider getting some uprated suspension bushes for the front.

The experts on this subject on the forum are AndyGDI or BexGDI,so it might be worth contacting them.Good luck,and let us know how you get on.

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome