Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio lll Door / Quarter Glass seal

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 5th June 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Clio lll Door / Quarter Glass seal

I’ve just replaced these rubbers. The Renault part number for these is 82 00 341 503 and are described as Soundproofing. I bought them from the local Renault dealer (slightly cheaper than getting mail order from the above link). Regardless, nearly £24 for two measly strips of rubber is a bit of a rip-off. I wonder if they are designed to suppress wind noise from the gap between the door and the rear window (especially as the front of the rear window sits out proud from the body work).

Both of mine (both sides of car) had pretty serious tears in the rubber, even though the car is about 3½ years old. This can’t have been due to deterioration caused by high sun exposure as one side of the car rarely gets in the sun. The best (most plausible) explanation I have come across so far is due to opening the car door in very frosty conditions (with the rubber frozen to the door). Whatever the cause, it is a pretty poor show on the part of Renault.

The old ones come away very easly – just grab one end and pull.

I’d assumed that they were somehow attached to the bodywork. But, in fact, they have an adhesive strip that attaches to the inner face of the front of the rear window (i.e. the adhesive strip faces outwards).

Having pulled the old strips off, a fair amount of adhesive residue was left on the inner face of the glass (not the easiest of places to get at). Not only was there too much residue to use a solvent on, neither white spirit not acetone had any effect (plus the fact that I was wary of using various solvents in the vicinity of the paintwork and the real window seals).

I found the residue scraped away quite readily (with a bit of patience – e.g. allowing anything up to ½ hour per side). I used a short pointed kitchen knife and just took care to avoid the paintwork. I then cleaned up the recess with water, dried it off with a cloth and left to dry properly for a while.

Basically, the new ones just slot in place, but you have to take care with the adhesive strip. I suggest you just insert the strip without pulling off the peel-back strip initially just so you can get familiar with the look and feel of how / where it slots in.

The guy on the Renault parts counter suggested pulling off just the start of the peel-back strip on the adhesive and slotting it in as you pull more and more of the peel-back strip off. I found that this doesn’t work so well. Instead I pulled the whole peel-back strip off and inserted from the middle out towards the upper and lower ends. There is a good reason for doing this way, as the gap available is wider away from the top and bottom (once you’ve taken the old ones out you can see that there is a slight protrusion of the bodywork at the top and bottom and so the strip fits much more tightly there). At this stage I was trying to keep the adhesive away from the glass in order to get the rubber properly positioned before making contact (not always easy to avoid, especially at the top and bottom).

To finish off, I used a small filling knife (mine has a slightly sharpened end) to push the rubber well in and then slotted the filling knife behind the rubber to pull it forward firmly on to the glass.
Currently in bazzaman's garage:
2008 Clio III 1.2 TCE Dynamique
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bazzaman For This Useful Post:
PTM (2nd July 2015), VelSatisfied (5th June 2012)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome