Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Brand new Clio pzaz rusting

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 6th June 2012
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Re: Brand new Clio pzaz rusting

I've encountered this before (when I worked for Ford).

This (as MadScenic) correctly identified, is caused by airborne particles of iron/steel landing on the vehicle, and doing what comes naturally over time (rusting).

It is most common at railway car parks, and doesn't become obvious for a few weeks (depending on how damp it is) - but not a timescale measured in months.

Cars are shipped from assembly to holding compounds and then onto dealer by many different methods; road & ship, but also (significantly), by rail.

But, I would suspect that as many cars are held in holding compounds, this would be a very widespread problem, and there would be many threads on this topic.

So that really leaves where the car is driven, and parked being the most likely area where this contamination has occured - and the manufacturer cannot be responsible for that, in all fairness.

If you get the car properly valeted, and machine polished, that should remove all traces of the rusty fragments. It may also be worth canvassing neighbours or people who park where you do, to gauge how widespread this problem is.

The paint & bodywork warranty is for failures in the materials and processes used at the time of manufacture, and from what I've read thus far, the manufacturer isn't blaming you, they are absolving themselves (correctly, I would add), from responsibility in this case.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome