Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault ''Twizy''

View Single Post
post #57 of (permalink) Old 7th June 2012
d'espace between my ears
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Re: Renault ''Twizy''

Phones will soon be able to be charged in 2 mins rather than 2+ hours. When applied to Cars this will make recharging as fast as refuelling at a petrol station.
I think that the fast charging you refer to is already in place for EV's and being filtered down to mobile devices rather than up to EV's. The cost of fast charging circuitry in both the rechargeable device and the charger is immense, and whilst it may be realistic in an EV, would you really pay two grand for an Iphone, or 1500 for a charger to go with it? Just to be able to charge it up in a few seconds. OK those prices will fall, of course, but it will not be any time soon.

The fastest way to recharge an EV battery is level 3 or Direct DC charging for those vehicles equipped with the facility. Few currently are. Even so it would still take around half an hour to recharge a vehicle, not quite the same as topping up with diesel, but a lot better than the 3.5 - 8 hours which I think it takes now. However it is well proven that direct DC charging seriously reduces battery life, and so the issue if sustainability rears it's head again.

I may not be a young man any more, but I am still awaiting the onset of middle age. Not in my lifetime will I ever be able to take a car into a garage and recharge it in the time it takes to top up with hydrocarbon fuel.

Of course lots of claims are being made, some will bear fruit and most will not. If I had listened to what was being claimed when I was at school we would have run out of oil already and i would run my car with plutonium fuel rods.

Edit to add, with the fuel mileage of a 3.0 dci Espace plutonium may not be a bad idea. Anyone know where I can get my hands on some.
Currently in d'espace between my ears's garage:
Nothing French!
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome