Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane II Throttle Style Handbrake EXPOSED

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 9th June 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Megane II Throttle Style Handbrake EXPOSED

Many thanks for the pics and how to take the handbrake apart. My 56 plate megane failed its MOT due to the failure of the handbrake, as the button would not work, and it took 2 hands to take it off! On the MOT the guy managed to push the button right in!

I took it apart like you have given above and found most the screw holders had broke off, and also the part where the spring went into had broken.

When trying to fix it back together, epoxy would not stick, and superglue stuck, but it was not strong enough, I thought i was going to have to buy a new handbrake.

I found some stuff online called plast-aid, which bonds with abs plastic, so I thought i'd give it a go.
Well the stuff is magic! i could build up the sides to strengthen it, and it also fixed the tabs back on so it would fit back perfectly.

Well today it passed its mot, and saved quite a bit of money!

So if any one has the same problem, get hold of plast-aid (i bought it from ebay ) it is a powder and liquid and only takes 15 mins to cure! and my handbrake works better than it ever has!
Currently in cazza1013's garage:
2006 Renault Megane 1.5 DCi dynamique
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome