Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 06 Renault master

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 12th June 2012
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Re: 06 Renault master

If it's the 2.5 dCi then the belt should be changed at least every 72,000 miles or 5 years.The kit to replace them can be expensive but it's not a huge job labour wise.

Listen for knocks from the front suspension,top and bottom joints are a common problem especially if it's been used on rural roads.

Check all the gears engage quietly,especially on down changes (syncros can be weak especially on the lower gears),make sure the gear change is easy and smooth too (cables can give problems).Make sure the clutch isn't heavy and the pedal returns properly.The gearboxes can get noisy too,listen for whining/rotational knocking noises.

Injectors can cause cutting out/starting problems.Give the van a good road test preferably up a long incline under load,also ask of any of the injectors have ever been changed.

There are probably many other things that I've forgotten to mention,but in reality if you buy carefully and find a good van with a decent history then the Master is an excellent buy.I see you have a 2.3 Daily,have you had many problems with it?.We bought one a few years back and it was a complete nightmare from the moment we first had it.Ours used to eat rear wheel bearings,the electrics were awful,and the engine used to smoke no matter what we tried to fix it.Eventually we gave up with it and sold it on,I believe it was exported to Poland in the end (best place for it!).
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome