Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Vibration and Resonance - Where from?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 13th June 2012 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Vibration and Resonance - Where from?

New to the forum although I have been a member for a little while and have generally found answers to my questions by searching all the different forum pages. We have recently bought a 2003 Scenic Fidji for our family of Dad (me), mum, 12 year old son and 92 year old grandfather. This seemed like the ideal car.
I had an electrical issue with a drained battery and found the answer on the forum being the rear wiper that was coming on with the brakes or the fog light. Have since cleaned up all connections in the back end with the Maplin cleaner and it has worked a treat.
The problem I have now is vibration and resonance. It has basically made the car undrivable for my wife as it affects her quite dramatically. She had brain surgery a couple of years ago and any sort of resonance makes her quite ill, a strange side effect of the surgery.
Searching through the different forum pages I found advise on checking the rear bearings by spinning the wheels and listening, spinning the wheels and feeling the suspension at the same time and I have now even gone to the extent of taking the grease cap off and putting a metal bar on the spindle end whilst I spin the disk and the rear bearings sound as quiet as anything. According to the history with the vehicle they were replaced in July 2010. Also checked tyres and found that one on the rear has bad cupping on the inside edge, basically the tyre looks like a 50p piece. Took this off and put the full size spare on, complete with never used Michelin and it has made some improvement but the resonance is still there. Oh and the rear discs and pads are ok also.
Then I had a look at the front even though the sound seems to be coming from the rear all the time, and found that both front discs have some nasty grooves and valleys in them along with massive amounts of scale on the edges of the disc and also on the callipers. Looks like there has been massive heat at some point in the past.
So my questions are as follows:
What could be causing this, the rear tyres, the rear bearings, the front discs and pads?
Would the heat in the front brakes damage the bearings? Should I replace them?
I am now at the point where I donít want to throw good money after bad if this is not repairable but if I do decide to spend on it I would at least want to try and target my spending wisely.
Any advice extremely welcome.
Currently in DadBJ's garage:
Y reg Seat Ibiza Mk3, W reg Rover 45 and an 03 Scenic Fidji
  5 Lastest Threads by DadBJ
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Vibration and Resonance - Where from? Brakes/Hubs DadBJ 15 3606 13th June 2012 11:27 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome