Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Why a Twizy

Thread: Why a Twizy
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 21st June 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Why a Twizy

Originally Posted by dinn View Post
hi. i tried twizzy last week. it looks and drive like a mobility scooter. it is uncomfortable and drives quite bad. it hasn't got any equipment onboard. real range is rather 35-40 miles (with lights on and reasonable speed). on the top of it, twizy looks cheap made and not very solid. i wouldn't buy that for 7k gbp.
Having now driven about 300 miles in my new Twizy I could not disagree more with you. It is sometimes hard to judge from a test drive and though I take it that you were not smitten this does not make what you have said correct.

Lets take each of your points:

Mobility scooter

I have not driven a mobility scooter but I would be very alarmed if a mobility scooter drove like my Twizy. I cant imaging driving a mobility scooter drives like a go cart and I do not think I would manage to keep up with traffic quite hapily on all A roads or urban roads as I can with the Twizy.

I drive a Jaguar XJ and a Twizy. I have been commuting to work in the Twizy 2-3 days out of 5 in the week and my journey has always been comfortable. Yes, it is hard if you take bumps too fast and the rear passenger does have a more uncomfortable ride compared to the front passenger.

Mine has hands free and an iPOD. It lacks cup holders and a sun visor but thats all I would want that I dont have.

My commute is about 20-25 miles each way, often i use lights and sound system and wipers etc and this sucks about 30-40% of the battery per one way journey. I could do a 50 mile return journey quite comfortably on all roads apart from motorway or full speed stretches where I do not get the benefit of the battery charging as I drive.

Cheaply made

Components are made for lightness and durability and because they get wet they are made in a particular way. I am as happy in the Twizy as the Jaguar and I do not feel I am in a cheap environment in any way.

My experience is that the Twizy is solid in terms of its on the road feel whcih is bordering on sporty and can be thrown around bends and in terms of its components which are very solidly made of good plastics and materials.

Would I buy one again after 300 miles?

Yes, sure thing, as I have not had more fun in a small car ever... full stop.
Currently in twizyowner's garage:
2007 Jaguar XJR Portfolio and 2012 Renault Twizy Colour
The Following User Says Thank You to twizyowner For This Useful Post:
osbrook (21st June 2012)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome