Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - New Speed Camera's On M6,m60,m62

View Single Post
post #19 of (permalink) Old 8th October 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
If you are stuck behind someone going more slowly than you, wait for a safe opportunity to overtake and do so. If you can't overtake, there's absolutely nothing you can do about, except get all stressy and *****y about it. How does that help anyone? Then later you can come along here and have a rant, and we can say 'chill'
Which is exactly what I'm prepared to do, but let's play fair and actually give each other an opportunity to drive correctly.

If you are in the outside lane, are not overtaking other vehicles, and are not keeping up with traffic, then you are being inconsiderate to other road users. I had one on the M56 roadworkds just today - a Focus doing an indicated 38 according to my speedo (so about 35 in reality) in the outside lane and refusing to pull over. He was being repeatedly 'undertaken' by a number of vehicles going faster in the middle lane. In the end, I resigned myself to following suit.

The same Focus driver didn't leave the outside lane even once he'd left the roadworks. At times, he had no traffic in either lane to his left, but he still sat in lane three. Once we were back to NSL, he made a point of catching up and blasting past me at 90+. At this point, I was where I should have been - in lane 2, passing vehicles in lane 1, leaving lane 3 clear for overtaking traffic.

Now which one of us is the safe driver again?

My point, and I still believe it's valid, is that the speed anyone chooses to do is between them and the authorities. If you are overtaking or even keeping up with traffic, then by all means stay in the outside lane. If you are not overtaking, have clear road ahead of you and have traffic behind, then move over.

I do not have a problem being behind a vehicle that's travelling slower than I wish to. If it's being driven correctly, I will hang back and wait for the driver to have the opportunity and courtesy to move over.

But I do object to the unqualified, self-appointed traffic police that some people seem to think they are these days, especially in roadworks. If someone wants to dictate how others use the roads, then they should get themselves a uniform, a car with some blue lights on it, and above all some proper training.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome